Here is a list of resources you might find useful while writing both your proposal and your book:
Literary Agents, Book Proposals, Guidance on the Publishing Industry
- Frishman, Rick and Robyn Spizman. Author 101: Bestselling Book Proposals. Avon, MA: Adams Media, 2005.
- Frishman, Rick and Robyn Spizman. Author 101: Bestselling Nonfiction. Avon, MA: Adams Media, 2006.
- Frishman, Rick and Robyn Spizman. Author 101: Bestselling Secrets from Top Agents. Avon, MA: Adams Media, 2006.
- Larsen, Michael. How to Get a Literary Agent. Naperville, IL: Sourcebooks, 2006.
- Page, Susan. The Shortest Distance Between You and a Published Book: 20 Steps to Success. New York, NY: Broadway Books, 1997.
- Poynter, Dan. Dan Poynter’s Self-Publishing Manual: How to Write, Print, and Sell Your Own Book. 15th Ed. Santa Barbara: Para Publishing, 2006.
- Walsh, Pat. 78 Reasons Why Your Book May Never Be Published and 14 Reasons Why It Just Might. New York, NY: Penguin, 2005.
Grammar, Punctuation, Style, Usage
- The Associated Press Stylebook and Libel Manual, 6th Trade Ed. New York: Addison-Wesley, 1996.
- Cochrane, James. Between You and I: A Little Book of Bad English. Naperville, IL: Sourcebooks, 2004.
- The Chicago Manual of Style: The Essential Guide for Writers, Editors, and Publishers, 15th Ed. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 2003.
- Denman, Terence. How Not to Write: An Office Primer for the Grammatically Perplexed. Philadelphia, PA: Quirk Books, 2005.
- Stillman, Anne. Grammatically Correct: The Writer’s Essential Guide to Punctuation, Spelling, Style, Usage, and Grammar. Cincinnati, OH: Writer’s Digest Books, 1997.
- Strunk and White, The Elements of Style. New York, Macmillan, 1979.
Writing and Food Reference
- Abbe, Elfrieda. The Writer’s Handbook (69th Edition). Waukesha, WI: Kalmbach Publishing, 2005.
- Clark, Roy Peter and Don Fry. Coaching Writers, Second Edition: Editors and Reporters Working Together Across Media Platforms. New York, NY: Bedford/St. Martin’s, 2003.
- Herbst, Sharon Tyler. The New Food Lover’s Companion. New York: Barron’s, 3rd edition, 2001.
- Howard-Johnson, Carolyn. The Frugal Editor: Put Your Best Book Forward to Avoid Humiliation and Ensure Success. Sun Valley, NV: Star Publish, 2004.
- Jacob, Dianne. Will Write for Food: The Complete Guide to Writing Cookbooks, Restaurant Reviews, Articles, Memoir, Fiction and More …. New York, NY: Marlowe & Company, 2005.
- Joachim, David. The Food Substitutions Bible. Ontario, Canada: Robert Rose, 2005.
- Labensky, Steven, Gaye G. Ingram, and Sarah R. Labensky. Webster’s New World Dictionary of Culinary Arts. New Jersey: Prentice Hall, 1997.
- Lanham, Richard. The Longman Guide to Revising Prose: A Quick and Easy Method for Turning Good Writing into Great Writing. New York, NY: Pearson Education, 2006.
- Martin, Paul Raymond. Getting Published: Writer’s Little Instruction Book. Cincinnati, OH: Writer’s Digest Books, 2005.
- Ostmann, Barbara Gibbs, and Jane L. Baker. The Recipe Writer’s Handbook. New York: John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 2001.
- Rolland, Jacques. The Cook’s Essential Kitchen Dictionary: A Complete Culinary Resource. Toronto: Robert Rose, Inc., 2004.
- Whitman, Joan, and Dolores Simon. Recipes into Type: A Handbook for Cookbook Writers and Editors. New York: HarperCollins Publishers, 1993.
- Wood, Monica. The Pocket Muse: Ideas & Inspiration for Writing. Cincinnati, OH: Writer’s Digest Books, 2002.
- Zinsser, William. On Writing Well: The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction, 30th Anniversary Edition. New York, NY: Collins, 2006.
Book Marketing and Publicity
- Blanco, Jodee. The Complete Guide to Book Publicity. New York, NY: Allworth Press, 2000.
- Cole, David. The Complete Guide to Book Marketing. New York, NY: Allworth Press, 1999.
- Frishman, Rick and Robyn Spizman. Author 101: Bestselling Book Publicity. Avon, MA: Adams Media, 2006.
- Howard-Johnson, Carolyn. The Frugal Book Promoter: How To Do What Your Publisher Won’t. Sun Valley, NV: Star Publish, 2004.
- Kremer, John. 1001 Ways to Market Your Books, Fifth Edition. Fairfield, IA: Open Horizons, 1998.
- Ross, Marilyn and Tom. Jump Start Your Book Sales: A Money-Making Guide for Authors, Independent Publishers, and Small Presses. Buena Vista, CO: Communication Creativity, 1999.
Culinary Organizations and Culinary Websites
- The American Culinary Federation, Inc., www.acfchefs.org
- The American Institute of Wine & Food, www.aiwf.org
- Bowker’s Books in Print, www.booksinprint.com
- The International Association of Culinary Professionals, www.iacp.com
- Les Dames d’Escoffier, www.ldei.org
- Literary Market Place, www.literarymarketplace.com
- The Research Chefs Association, www.researchchefs.org
- Slow Food, www.slowfood.com
- Women Chefs & Restaurateurs, www.womenchefs.org